Diplomatic relations were established between the United States and Ethiopia in a treaty of commerce on December 27, 1903. The first American Legation arrived in Addis Ababa in 1909 but withdrew in 1936 when Italy invaded Ethiopia. It reopened in 1943 after the collapse of Benito Mussolini’s fascist regime and was elevated to Embassy status just six years later. During the Cold War, U.S.-Ethiopian relations were somewhat strained because Ethiopia accepted Soviet aid and support. However, the two states have been friendly since the collapse of Mengistu Haile Mariam’s communist government in 1991. In 2011 in Addis Ababa, the U.S. dedicated the largest U.S. Embassy in sub-Saharan Africa-a building which is one of the first LEED registered facilities in Ethiopia.
- Hosting “Yes You(th) Can!” conferences on volunteerism, community service, and leadership for youth from Addis Ababa
- Contributing to a new program with Pact and UNICEF to benefit more than 500,000 Ethiopian orphans and vulnerable children affected by HIV/AIDs
- Donating laboratory equipment to improve the diagnoses of tuberculosis in regional public health laboratories
- Hosting a digital video conference on “21stCentury Media” for Ethiopian journalists and journalism students to commemorate World Press Freedom Day
- Presenting more than 10,000 books from the organization “Books for Africa” to Ethiopian universities and schools
- Providing seed money for innovative partnerships between U.S. and Ethiopian universities, on subjects from innovative cook stoves to managing archeological programs
This video was produced by the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of International Information Programs in September 2013. It features U.S. Ambassador Patricia Haslach.
For a transcript please click here.