The United States first established a consular office in Panama in 1833, elevating it to a consulate general in 1884. With American assistance, Panama revolted against Colombia in 1903 and gained its independence. Upon their independence they signed a treaty, which allowed the United States to build and control the Panama Canal and its surrounding area. As a mark of good relations, the consulate general was raised to embassy status in 1939. In 1979, in accordance with the Torrijos-Carter Treaties of 1977, the United States began to transfer control of the Canal Zone to Panama, a process which was completed by 1999. In 2008, the embassy relocated to a new sustainable building, making it the second U.S. diplomatic complex to earn LEED certification.
- Promoting sustainable management of the environment in Panama, including water conservation
- Increasing biodiversity preservation in the Panama Canal Watershed
- Helping indigenous populations in the Darien Forests
- Educating Panamanians about domestic violence and substance abuse
- Empowering women and girls through scholarships, mentoring programs for women entrepreneurs, and other embassy-funded educational opportunities