Haiti won independence from France in 1804, making it the second-oldest republic in the Western Hemisphere. However, the United States government was unwilling to recognize a free black republic until after the American Civil War, which ended slaveholding within the United States. In 1862, President Abraham Lincoln sent a representative to Haiti. An American Legation was established which was turned into a full embassy in 1943. The United States completed a new Embassy compound in Port-au-Prince only a few years prior to the disastrous Haitian earthquake of 2010.
- Donating food and humanitarian supplies (including water purification systems) in an on-going effort to rebuild Haiti after the 2010 earthquake
- Inaugurating new markets such as the Savane Pistache and Marche La Coupe, which will support local merchants and promote stability in the community
- Organizing English clubs at Institution du Sacré-Coeur, an all girls’ school in Port-au-Prince, and other places
- Supporting the humanitarian mission New Horizons 2011, which conducted medical treatments for the local population and constructed a school and several clinics
- Donating books to new schools like Ecole Louis Borno in Leogane since the original facilities were destroyed in Haiti’s earthquake of January 12, 2010