U.S. Embassy Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Chancery, built in 1986.

Chancery, built in 1986.

Chancery, built in 1986.

Chancery, built in 1986.

Overview

The United States recognized the present-day Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in 1931 and established diplomatic relations with an exchange of Ministers in 1940. Soon after, the American Legation was established at Jeddah and later elevated to an embassy in 1949. Eventually, the embassy moved to Riyadh in 1984, leaving behind consulates in Jeddah and Dhahran. Since that time, Saudi Arabia has been a key American ally in the Middle East, both as an oil supplier and as a base of operations for coalition forces during the Persian Gulf War of 1991.

Embassy Activities:

  • Bringing American experts to Saudi Arabia to share knowledge about building, maintaining, and restoring earthen structures
  • Supporting the “Picturing America” exhibition at the Imam Mohammed bin Saud Islamic University
  • Hosting performances by artists like Simon Shaheen, one of the world’s authorities on classical Arabic music and a master of the oud, a stringed instrument similar to a lute
  • Sponsoring a series of workshops on e-teaching and content-based instruction with Kay Westerfield of the University of Oregon
  • Reporting on the work of a joint U.S.-Saudi archeological team at Jurash, near Abha, an important stop along an ancient caravan trade route

Related Artifacts from the USDC Collection

Click the picture for more details

Related Bureaus

Related Resources