Open Museum Hours:
NMAD is currently in development. However, you can visit our preview exhibit on Fridays from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM for self-guided experiences. A print highlights tour is available to general audiences and a print study guide is available to help inform productive conversations among younger audiences. Registration is required.
1 hour self-guided exhibit visit
Requests for group visits must be submitted through this form no less than three weeks prior to the date requested.
Groups may select up to two programs, with time in the museum not to exceed two and half hours.
Group size is limited to 40.
Requests must be received no less than three weeks prior to the desired dates requested.
Once your program is confirmed, you will need to provide a complete list of names of all who plan to attend regardless of age.
Planning Your Visit:
- Program Hours: Education Experiences for groups are available M – F at either 10:00 AM or 1:00 PM
- Self-guided tours of the Diplomacy Is Our Mission and Berlin Wall exhibits are available on Fridays between 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM. Registration is required.
- Please arrive at the NMAD 21st Street entrance located at 320-330 21st Street, N.W. Washington, DC. (21st and Virginia Avenue). Arrive at least 15-minutes before the program starts for check-in and security screening.
- Diplomatic Security will assist you with security screening. Once screened, NMAD staff will be there to assist with check-in and escort you to the venue.
- Please remember to bring a government-issued photo ID (driver’s license or passport). Everyone entering the NMAD and the Department of State over the age of 16 is required to present a photo ID.
- Visitors younger than 16 years old DO NOT need to be screened by Diplomatic Security or show photo identification.
- When registering for a program, you will need to provide a complete list of names of all who plan to attend regardless of age. This list should be provided 2 weeks before the program date.
Arrival tips for groups:
- Leave large bags and laptops at home or on the bus;
- Do not arrive earlier than 15 minutes before your event;
- Food may not be consumed anywhere in the museum;
- All visitors over 15 years old must have a government issued ID upon entry;
- Submit names two weeks before the program date.
Nearby parking is very limited. Visitors should consider taxis or public transportation. Please visit the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority’s WMATA Trip Planner to explore public transportation options to NMAD.
NMAD is a short walk from the Foggy Bottom Metro stop. From the metro, walk south (turn right from the escalator) on 23rd Street. Cross to 21st Street. The entrance to NMAD is on the corner of 21st and Virginia Streets.
Commercial parking is available in the Columbia Plaza complex (located at E Street and Virginia Avenue, N.W.).
Nice casual attire is expected.
- Video cameras and flash photography are permitted in the museum.
- You are invited to share photos and memories of your museum visit on social media. Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram: @NMADMuseum
- Use of tripods and selfie sticks is not permitted.
Free wi-fi is available in the building, please look for the “SWAP-NOMAP” network and agree to the terms of service. No password is required.